Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 9, 10
- Minimum of 1 primary source (from artist)
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source (in addition to the textbook – from critic)
Initial Post Instructions
Choose one of the music or dance movements that you read about this week and at least one work from that movement. Then, address the following:
- Examine the movement and specific work in relation to historical and political influences of the movement.
- Identify characteristics of the movement and how the work reflects these characteristics.
- Include a statement from the artist and one from a critic.
- Include a link to the lyrics and/or video depending on your choice
This week we read up on various musical and dance movements. Among the musical movements, we learned about blues, jazz, rap, and rock and roll. I will be discussing blues. The term blues was originally used in reference to music produced by black folks in the south. This music was known for its description of a wide range of feelings (Martin & Jacobus, 2018). At the time, it never really implied despair or depression. It hinted of a soulful feeling. Blues have been very essential in the evolution of music, with them influencing other musical movements such as jazz.
The various characteristics of blues include call and response, tempo, metre, and rhythm. These songs are notorious for having a rhyming lyric structure. Often, the artists repeat a few lines to reiterate their emotions (Martin & Jacobus, 2018). Blues are also known for using the 12-bar blue; commonly used musical instruments include the Dixieland drum kit, saxophone, piano,…Please click the icon below to purchase full answer at only $5