Purpose and Course Outcome
The discussion topic this week pertains to the following Course Outcome.
- CO 1: Consider the role of the professional nurse in relation to the concepts of integrity and ethical accountability within nursing practice. (POs 4, 6)
During the assigned week (Sunday the start of the assigned week through Sunday the end of the assigned week):
- Posts in the discussion at least two times, and
- Posts in the discussion on two different days
- Discussions are designed to promote dialogue between faculty and students, and students and their peers. In discussions students:
- Demonstrate understanding of concepts for the week
- Integrate outside scholarly sources when required
- Engage in meaningful dialogue with classmates and/or instructor
- Express opinions clearly and logically, in a professional manner
- Use the rubric on this page as you compose your answers.
- Best Practices include:
- Participation early in the week is encouraged to stimulate meaningful discussion among classmates and instructor.
- Enter the discussion often during the week to read and learn from posts.
- Select different classmates for your reply each week.
Describe the way in which nurses are perceived by your patients and the public.
How do the best known nurses currently depicted in the media represent the type of nursing image you wish to promote?
Speaking of image, do you feel that no longer wearing traditional white uniforms has had an impact on how nurses are perceived?
How is your clothing an important part of your public image?
What could you do to improve the professional image of nurses?
**NOTE: This course does not include lessons. Please cite your textbook to earn points in the discussion rubric.
According to Huston (2020), the public views the nursing profession to be significantly benevolent, compassionate, hardworking, and trustworthy. Only a few members of the public view the profession as prestigious and powerful. Despite being the largest medical profession in terms of the labor force, the nursing profession continues to wield relatively low power and influence. For the longest time, the traditional hierarchy has led the public to believe that the nursing profession is relatively lesser important and competent compared to the physicians’ profession.
I wish to promote the nursing profession as an integral medical profession. It is integral in that nurses have more contact with patients than do physicians. As such, they have a profound understanding of the patients’ holistic needs. The reality is that the media portrays more shows on doctors than nurses. Unfortunately, this creates the understanding that nurses have an inferior role to doctors. It is only during the pandemic that the media began to celebrate nurses……Please click the icon below to purchase full answer at only $10