**Please Note: This Hot Topic Discussion is linked to your Hot Topic Assignment
This discussion prompts you to identify and discuss current trends in professional nursing. You must search the Internet for a “hot topic” that relates to nurses or nursing for your assignment (see Hot Topic Assignment), and describe it to your classmates by posting below. You will also read your classmates’ contributions and select two to which you will post a response. This discussion provides an opportunity for you to understand your classmates’ viewpoints that may differ from your own.
- CO 1: Consider the role of the professional nurse in relation to the concepts of integrity and ethical accountability within nursing practice. (PO 4, 6)
- CO 2: Explore the impact of contemporary health care issues on the role of the professional nurse. (PO 7)
During the assigned week (Sunday the start of the assigned week through Sunday the end of the assigned week):
- Posts in the discussion at least two times, and
- Posts in the discussion on two different days
- Discussions are designed to promote dialogue between faculty and students, and students and their peers. In discussions students:
- Demonstrate understanding of concepts for the week
- Integrate outside scholarly sources when required
- Engage in meaningful dialogue with classmates and/or instructor
- Express opinions clearly and logically, in a professional manner
- Use the rubric on this page as you compose your answers.
- Best Practices include:
- Participation early in the week is encouraged to stimulate meaningful discussion among classmates and instructor.
- Enter the discussion often during the week to read and learn from posts.
- Select different classmates for your reply each week.
The topic you select for your Week 6 Discussion should be the same topic you will use for the Week 6 Hot Topic Assignment.
- Review the types of topics that are covered in this course (i.e., professional, ethical, and legal issues).
- Search the Internet for a current story about nurses or nursing related to one of the course topics. Topics may be ethical, legal, political, or professional in nature.
- The story must be no older than 1 year.
- Do not use wikis, Wikipedia, Facebook, or other social media. Instead, look for stories that may be found in, but not limited to, online news sites, professional organizations’ issues pages, or journal editorials.
- Your answer post must include:
- A brief summary of the current internet story you selected in #2 above.
- Identify the name of the site you selected and provide a working URL/web address so your classmates can visit the site to read about the issue. For purposes of this Week 6 Discussion only, the URL linked to the internet story you selected will serve as your outside source for the week.
- Your reply posts:
- Read the posts of your classmates
- Select one or more topics of interest from classmates’ posts that are different than your own hot topic. Visit those websites.
- Reply to one classmate to further develop the discussion by Sunday end of Week 6 by 11:59PM MT.
I found an article on KOIN reporting on the issue of nurse shortage in Washington. Herein, the article reports on the findings of a survey by the Washington State Hospital Association. The survey showed that hospitals within Washington have over 6,000 nursing vacancies (Arden, 2021). Unfortunately, there is no immediate solution to the problem. There are currently 3,000 travel nurses helping remedy the shortage of nurses (Arden, 2021). Hospitals report that they have not registered enough revenue increase to sustain payments to the travel nurses and agencies. Therefore, the dependence on travel nurses is both temporary and unsustainable. Presumably, the hospitals will not be able to retain the hired travel nurses once they run out of COVID-related government funding. Hospitals in Washington, like in most other states, are now….Please click the icon below to purchase full answer at only $5