This assignment provides the opportunity for the student to identify a nursing theorist and their nursing theory, summarize the selected nursing theory, identify the concepts of the nursing metaparadigm for the selected theory, analyze the importance of the selected theory to the nursing profession, and present an example of how the selected nursing theory can be applied in the area of the student’s MSN specialty.
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the following:
- (CO#1)Demonstrate logical and creative thinking in the analysis and application of a theory to nursing practice. (PO 2 and 5)
- (CO#2) Apply nursing theory as a framework to guide the development of new knowledge and implementation of evidence-based practice in future professional settings. (PO 1 and 4)
- (CO#3) Examine broad theoretical concepts as foundational to advanced nursing practice roles. (PO 1 and 2)
- (CO#4) Analyze theories from nursing and relevant fields with respect to the components, relationship among the components, and application to advanced nursing practice. (PO 1)
Sunday 11:59 pm MT at the end of Week 4
Total Points Possible: 200 points
This assignment focuses on the importance of nursing theory within the profession. Selecting one nursing theorist and the nursing theory they developed(non-nursing theories are not allowed), the student will present a brief summary of the selected nursing theory, identify the concepts of the nursing paradigm as addressed in the selected nursing theory, as well as discuss the importance of the selected nursing theory to the nursing profession. The student will include 1-2 scholarly peer-reviewed sources to support the nursing theory chosen. The student will also provide an example of how the selected nursing theory can be applied to ONE of the following MSN specialty track areas:
- Nursing Informatics
- Healthcare Policy
- Nurse Practitioner
- Population Health
Questions to answer: (Use the Importance of Theory Worksheet Template (Links to an external site.) to answer the following questions. You do not need a title page)
- The nursing theorist I chose is:
- Why did I choose my selected nursing theory?
- Brief summary of the nursing theorist and the nursing theory I chose including key concepts (include scholarly support in APA format)
- How does the selected nursing theory address or identify the concepts of the nursing metaparadigm?
- How is this nursing theory useful to the nursing profession?
- How would I apply this nursing theory to my chosen MSN specialty (educator, leadership/executive, nursing informatics, healthcare policy, nurse practitioner, population health, etc.)
- Self-Reflection: What did I learn from completing this assignment?
Importance of Theory Worksheet Template
Please read the assignment guidelines and rubric, then provide answers to the following questions:
The nursing theory I chose is:
Theory: Need Theory
Theorist: Virginia Henderson
Why did I choose my selected nursing theory?
The rationale for choosing the Need Theory is mainly because it relates and appliesto the nursing profession and my MSN specialty track, education. More so, the theory addresses all four metaparadigms of nursing.
A brief summary of the nursing theory I chose including key concepts:
The Need Theory focuses on the role of nurses in increasing the patient’s independence to enhance their healing process following hospitalization. The center of attention of the Need Theory is the basic human needs which led to the advancement of the theory concerning the needs of the patients and the nursing role in meeting or rather, facilitation of the fulfillment of those needs (Ahtisham&Jacoline, 2015). The theory is founded on three assumptions which have it that (i) nurses provide care to their patients until they attain self-independence, (ii) nurses are willing and devoted to serving their patients day and night, and (iii) nurses ought to be educated in both art and science at the college level(Ahtisham&Jacoline, 2015).The Need Theory is made up of 15 components which are classified into four classes including (i) physiological needs which include areas that concerned with eating, dress,sleep, and environment; (ii) psychological needs which encompasslearning,communication with others, expression of emotion, fears, needs…….Please click the icon below to purchase full answer at only $10