The purposes of this assignment are to: (a) identify and articulate leadership theories to support your management of power as the nurse executiveat Saint Louis Medical Center (SLMC) (CO 1, 2), (b) compare and contrast organizational structures that may influence the management of power of your role (CO 3), and (c) provide empirical, scholarly evidence to support your assignment in a clear, succinct, and scholarly manner (CO 4).
Due Date: Sunday 11:59 p.m. MT at the end of Week 5
Total Points Possible: 200
- This paper will be graded on quality of paper information, use of citations, use of standard grammar, sentence structure, and organization based on the required components.
- Create this assignment using Microsoft (MS) Word, which is the required format for all Chamberlain documents. You can tell that the document is saved as a MS Word document because it will end in .docx.
- Submit to the appropriate assignment area by 11:59 p.m. MT on Sunday of the week due. Any questions about this paper may be discussed in the weekly Q & A discussion topic.
- The length of the paper is to be no greater than three pages,excluding title page and reference page.
- APA format using the sixth edition manual is required in this assignment, including a title page and reference page. Use APA level 1 headings for the organizational structure of this assignment. Remember that the introduction does not carry a heading that labels it as a level heading in APA format. The first part of your paper is assumed to be the introduction. See the APA manual sixth edition for details. See the resource under Course Resources, Guidelines for Writing Professional Papers. Use the suggested format and headings to organize your assignment.
- Include introduction (do not label as a heading in APA format)
- Leadership theories
- Organizational structures
Management of Power
Organizational leadership is achieved via combination of exploitation of power and authority. D’Innocenzo, Mathieu and Kukenberger (2016) define power as the propensity to influence others in decision making and getting job done and authority as the legal rights occupied by an individual in a particular position. Power does not always need to be accompanied by a position and thus, opposition issues often arise in situations when power is exploited without authority. It is paramount to balance between power and authority to avoid the circumstances where powerful and influential individuals influence others without any authoritative position or powerless individuals incapable of influencing others hold positions of authority.
There exists seven kinds of management powers; Charisma, Coercive, Expert, Manipulative, Legitimate, Reward and Referent. The management powers can be applied independently or in collaboration depending on their appropriateness. To be a successful leader, one ought to understand how to optimal exploit all forms of management powers in combination, concurrently or simultaneously. Taking this into account, this paper seeks to discuss leadership theories, organizational structures and evidences that support management of power within SLMC.
Being a nursing executive in SLMC, dictated by how situations present themselves, I would leverage each of management power. For instance, coercive and manipulative powers can be exploited to shape the behavior of the subordinates to attain short term objectives. With its limited resources, SLMC is anticipates to receive substantial number of patients and therefore,Please click the Paypal icon below to purchase full solution for only $10