At some point in every construction project, efforts turn from design and the focus moves to actual construction. With the vision in place and the tools secured, the blueprint can be finalized and approved. Then it is time to put on hardhats and begin work.
Throughout the course you have developed aspects of your Academic and Professional Development Plan. You have put a great deal of thought into your vision and goals, your academic and professional network of support, research strategies and other tools you will need, the integrity of your work, and the value of consulting the work of others. With your portfolio in place, it is now time to finalize your blueprint for success.
Much as builders remain cognizant of the building standards as they plan and begin construction, nurses must remain mindful of the formal standards of practice that govern their specialty. A good understanding of these standards can help ensure that your success plan includes any steps necessary to excel within your chosen specialty.
In this Assignment you will continue developing your Academic Success and Professional Development Plan by developing the final component: a review of your specialty standards of practice. You will also submit your final version of the document, including Parts 1–5.
- Review the scope and standards of practice or competencies related to your chosen specialty.
- Download the Nursing Specialty Comparison Matrix.
- Examine professional organizations related to the specialization you have chosen and identify at least one to focus on for this assignment.
- Reflect on the thoughts you shared in the Discussion forum regarding your choice of a specialty, any challenges you have encountered in making this choice, and any feedback you have received from colleagues in the Discussion.
Complete the following items and incorporate them into the final version of your Academic Success and Professional Development Plan.
- Write a paragraph that provides a detailed comparison at least two nursing specialties, including your selected specialization and second-preferred specialization.
- Write a clear and accurate 2- to 3-paragraph justification statement identifying your reasons for choosing your MSN specialization. Provide sufficient evidence of incorporating feedback you received from colleagues in this week’s Discussion Forum.
- Clearly identify and accurately describe in detail the professional organization related to the specialization you have chosen to focus on for this assignment and explain how you can become an active member of this organization.
Note: Your final version of the Academic Success and Professional Development Plan should include all components as presented the Academic Success and Professional Development Plan template. Make all corrections to each part based on faculty feedback and submit a final and edited copy of the template (Part 1-Part 6) in correct APA format.
Part 6 Finalizing The Plan
Choosing a nursing specialty can be a challenging task for nurses considering the availability of many specialties. Thus, it is crucial that a nurse, before making their choice of specialty, should take into account various factors including their passion, benefits, and challenges of a given specialty, and their abilities. This paper compares two nursing specialties, my chosen specialty, psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner (PMHNP), and my second preferred specialty, Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner (WHNP).
Comparison of PMHNP and WHNP
As described by the American Psychiatric Nurses Association (APNA), PMHNPs are NPs whose roles and responsibilities include providing assessment, diagnosing, and treating individuals and/or families with psychiatric mental disorders (APNA, n.d). They also identify the risk factors for these disorders. One does not have to be an NP to become a psychiatric-mental health nurse-PMH-RN. A PMHNP may diagnose, prescribe medication, and provide psychotherapy while a PHM-RN cannot. Considering the scope of practice, PMHNPs work with patients with mental health problems of all ages but may specialize in a specific age group. More so, the PHMNPs may practice in various settings including state psychiatric facilities, in-patient psychiatric facilities, mental health centers, correctional facilities, schools, and home health centers, among others. In the U.S, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, an NP, including PMHNPs, earns approximately $107,030 per annum, varying with specialty, industry, locality, and population (NurseLicenseMap, n.d). To become a PMHNP, one must be an RN, apply…..Please click the icon below to purchase full answer at only $10