Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 1, 2, 3
- Minimum of 2 scholarly sources in addition to the textbook.
- Go online and look up your state constitution. Choose three state sections such as religious freedom, freedom of the press, etc. and discuss the guidelines for each.
- Compare these sections to the equivalent section in the United States Bill of Rights. List differences, if any.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
- Length: 1.5-2 pages (not including title page or references page)
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Title page
- References page (minimum of 2 scholarly sources in addition to textbook if cited)
Week 1 Assignment: State Powers
States are subject to their respective constitutions and the federal Constitution. The state constitutions precede the federal Constitution and serve as a governance framework for the state government. Like the federal Constitution, state constitutions protect liberties and limit powers (Ayerset al., 2017). There are notable differences and similarities between federal and state constitutions. For one, they are similar in that they espouse protection of rights, separation of powers, and direct and indirect selection of government officials (Ayerset al., 2017). However, they vary with regards to the degree to which they protect liberties. There are significant differences in the degree to which the New York state constitution and the federal Constitution protect human liberties.
Both the national Constitution and New York constitution have a bill of Rights. Herein, they protect liberties such as the freedom of expression, freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, and freedom to petition the government (Ayerset al., 2017). These bills of rights are also similar in that they aim to protect the liberties of the citizens and limit the influence and powers of the government (Ayerset al., 2017). Lastly, some of the liberties provided herein overlap in both constitutions.
Aside from the mentioned similarities, there are also several differences between the bills….Please click the icon below to purchase full answer at only $10