Identify a quality improvement opportunity in your organization or practice. In a 1,250-1,500 word paper, describe the problem or issue and propose a quality improvement initiative based on evidence-based practice. Apply “The Road to Evidence-Based Practice” process, illustrated in Chapter 4 of your textbook, to create your proposal.
Include the following:
- Provide an overview of the problem and the setting in which the problem or issue occurs.
- Explain why a quality improvement initiative is needed in this area and the expected outcome.
- Discuss how the results of previous research demonstrate support for the quality improvement initiative and its projected outcomes. Include a minimum of three peer-reviewed sources published within the last 5 years, not included in the course materials or textbook, that establish evidence in support of the quality improvement proposed.
- Discuss steps necessary to implement the quality improvement initiative. Provide evidence and rationale to support your answer.
- Explain how the quality improvement initiative will be evaluated to determine whether there was improvement.
- Support your explanation by identifying the variables, hypothesis test, and statistical test that you would need to prove that the quality improvement initiative succeeded.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
Quality Improvement Opportunity
The role of quality improvement in the context of healthcare cannot be overlooked. This is due to the fact that it plays a fundamental role in ensuring that the needs of the patients are constantly an increasing met, leading to positive health outcomes. Johnson and Sollecito (2018) assert that quality improvement entails systematic as well as continuous actions that lead to substantial improvement in the delivery of healthcare services. In the same note, quality improvement in healthcare takes into account a direct correlation that exists between the level of improved health services and the desired outcomes of patients and populations (Dixon-Woods & Martin, 2016). This paper seeks to explore an issue of quality improvement in my organization alongside ways that can be put in place to address it.
Overview of the Problem and Setting
According to Ferguson and Howell (2015), in the realm of healthcare, accurate handover of clinical patient information plays a fundamental role when it comes to continuity as well as safety of care. In light of this, Groves, Manges, and Scott-Cawiezell (2016) articulate that if relevant clinical information is not shared accurately and timely, adverse events may be experienced particularly due to delays in treatment and diagnosis, the omission of care, and inappropriate treatment. Over the last couple of years, there have been intense calls by scholars, policymakers, and practitioners across the United States to improve nurse handovers. These interventions have been aimed at reducing the risk of omission, miscommunication, and misunderstanding of critical information. As espoused by Muck, McNeil, McHugh, Bebarta, and Adams (2015), conventional methods of patient handoffs such as shift reporting at the nursing station, verbal and taped verbal report have not fully addressed the issues of miscommunication. This has resulted in increased medication errors…Please click the icon below to purchase full answer at only $10